Purchase Ruby's projects from the Interweave Store
How To: Clean Sterling Silver Jewelry
*** Warning: This method is recommended only for jewelry that are all-sterling-silver and those that incorporate plastic or glass beads. [Pieces in the photos have Austrian crystal and glass pearls.] Some gemstones are affected by the baking soda reaction.
- Line a glass (or plastic) container with a slightly crumpled sheet of aluminum foil (shiny side up).
- Lay your jewelry on the foil, making sure all of the sterling silver pieces are in contact with the aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda over the jewelry.
- Pour enough boiling water into the container to immerse the jewelry. The cleaning action results in some bubbling and a slight odor.
- Soak for a few minutes. You will notice the difference right away. Using a wood or plastic utensil, gently move the pieces around to ensure that all the silver surfaces come in contact with the aluminum.
- Rinse jewelry under tap water and gently wipe dry.
- Polish with a soft cloth.
- To minimize tarnishing, store sterling silver in a moisture-free environment.